A full list of your options for satisfying your traffic citation is on the back of the citation. You are required to choose one of the three options within 30 days of receiving the citation.
- You must complete a basic driver improvement course (Traffic Collision Avoidance Course) if you want to retain your driver license in Florida for the following circumstance:
- You were a driver in a crash and are found at fault and
- someone was transported to the hospital or
- you had two crashes within a two-year period, which resulted in property damage greater than $500.
- Passed a stopped school bus
- Highway Racing
- Highway Racing - Spectator
- Reckless Driving
- Running a red light
- If you receive a ticket for a non-criminal moving violation, and you do not hold a commercial driver license, you may elect to attend a 4 hour basic driver improvement course in lieu of points on your driving record.
- In some cases, you may choose to attend a basic driver improvement course to receive insurance discounts. This discount is solely at the discretion of your insurance company.
If you choose to take and complete an online basic driver improvement course, the DHSMV will be notified and no points will be attached to your driver record. In addition, you will not be held guilty of a violations and your safe driver status will be maintained.
Be sure to contact the county clerk where you received your ticket and let them know you wish to take a and online 4-hour BDI traffic school course. At that time you will need to pay your fine. PLEASE NOTE: You cannot choose to attend a traffic school course after you pay the fine.