Oklahoma New Resident Guide

Welcome to Oklahoma! As a new driver to this state you will need to be aware of our unique traffic laws and regulations. Here's what you need to keep in mind while driving in Oklahoma. Some of these rules may be the same as what you're already used to, but others will be drastically different!

Licensing and Residency Requirements

  • Licensees have 10 days to apply for a new license after changing addresses or names.
  • Upon establishing Oklahoma residency, your vehicle must be registered with the Oklahoma Tax Commission (see your local Motor License Agent). This may not apply to military personnel and their spouses.
  • If your license from another state is valid, take a primary and a secondary approved form of identification and your out of state license to a DPS Driver License Office. The written and driving test may be waived if department standards are met. If you possess an out-of-country license please contact a Driver Examiner to find out if the tests can be waived. Even if your written and driving tests are waived, you will still be required to take a vision test.
  • You may apply for Oklahoma vehicle title and registration at any tag agency location. Application should be made within thirty days of establishing residency.

Graduated Licensing Program

Learner Permit


  • Must be 16, or 15 1/2 and receiving instruction in driver education or be taking a parent-taught driver education course;
  • Must pass written test and vision exam.

Privileges and Restrictions

  • May practice driving between 5 AM and 10 PM.
  • Must be supervised at all times by a licensed driver at least 21, who has been licensed for least 2 years.

Intermediate License


  • Must be at least 16;
  • Must have completed 50 hours (10 at night) of practice driving;
  • Must have no traffic convictions on driving record;
  • Must have passed driving skills exam.

Privileges and Restrictions

  • May not drive unsupervised between 10 PM and 5 AM.
  • May not transport more than one passenger unless supervised (family members, guardians, and licensed drivers over 21 are exempted).

Unrestricted License


  • If applicant has completed driver education course, must have held intermediate license for at least 6 months, and may obtain unrestricted license at 16 1/2;
  • If applicant has not completed driver education course, must have held intermediate license for 1 year;
  • Must have no traffic convictions on driving record.

Privileges and Restrictions

  • Unrestricted license, no restrictions

Violation Point Counts

The amount of points that go against your driver's license for specific types of violations.

1 Point Violations

  • Operating a defective vehicle
  • All other violations (excluding the violations requiring suspension or revocation action

2 Point Violations

  • Violation of license restriction
  • Careless driving
  • Speed
  • Following too close or improperly
  • Failure to obey stop sign or traffic light
  • Failure to yield right of way
  • Left of center or wrong way on one way

3 Point Violations

  • Speed in excess of 25 mph above posted limit

4 Point Violations

  • Reckless driving
  • Failure to stop or remain stopped for a school bus loading or unloading

Point Deductions

  • Two points are deducted for each 12-month period in which there are no convictions of any pointable traffic violations. Points are reduced to zero if there are no traffic violation convictions for three consecutive years
  • Two points are deducted for successful completion of a DPS-approved Driver Compliance or Defensive Driving Course. Credit for completing the course can be given once every 24 months. The point total can't go below zero.

If you accumulate 10 or more points within five years, your license will be suspended.

Insurance Requirements

Compulsory liability Insurance-All Oklahoma drivers and/or vehicle owners are required by law to carry the minimum limits of liability for this state:

  • $25,000 for injury or death of one person.
  • $50,000 for injury or death of two or more persons.
  • $25,000 for property damage.

By law, you must show proof of insurance to a law enforcement officer or representative of the Department of Public Safety when asked. If you are in a collision, you must show your proof of insurance to the other driver and to the other people involved.

Headlight Laws

You must dim your headlights from high to low beam when you are within 1,000 feet of an oncoming vehicle, or when within 600 feet of a vehicle traveling ahead of you.

You must use your headlights:

  • Between 30 minutes after sunset and 30 minutes before sunrise.
  • At other times when visibility is not normal.
  • When visibility less than 1000 feet.
  • In conditions of insufficient light/adverse weather.

There is no specific law allowing or prohibiting headlight flashing.

Implied Consent Laws

  • First refusal - Revocation 180 days
  • Second refusal (within 10 years) - Revocation 1 year (mandatory)
  • Subsequent refusal (within 10 years) - Revocation 3 years (mandatory)

DUI Penalties

Driving While Impaired

  • Up to 6 months
  • $100 - $500 fine
  • First offense - 30 day license suspension
  • Second offense - 6 month license suspension
  • Third offense - 12 month license suspension

Driving Under the Influence/Illegal Per Se

First conviction (misdemeanor)

  • 10 days - 1 year imprisonment
  • Up to $1,000 fine
  • 180 day license revocation
  • Must complete alcohol education course for license reinstatement
  • Court may order rehabilitation treatment program
  • Ignition interlock required for license reinstatement

Second conviction (within 10 years) (Felony)

  • 1 - 5 years imprisonment
  • Up to $2,500 fine
  • 1 year license revocation
  • Must complete alcohol education course for license reinstatement
  • Court must order rehabilitation treatment program
  • Ignition interlock required for license reinstatement

Third conviction (within 10 years) (Felony)

  • 1 - 10 years imprisonment
  • Up to $5,000 fine
  • 240 hours community service
  • 3 year license revocation
  • Must complete alcohol education course for license reinstatement
  • Court must order rehabilitation treatment program
  • Ignition interlock required for license reinstatement

Fourth and subsequent conviction (within 10 years) (Felony)

  • 1 - 20 years imprisonment
  • Up to $5,000 fine
  • 480 hours community service
  • 3 year license revocation
  • Must complete alcohol education course for license reinstatement
  • Court must order rehabilitation treatment program
  • 30 days - 2 years ignition interlock


Child endangerment

  • Any person age 18 or older who violates a DUI law while transporting or having any child less than 18 shall be subject to an enhanced penalty in the form of a doubled fine. Said driver may also be prosecuted for Felony Child Endangerment.

Aggravated DUI (BAC .15 or more)

  • Must participate in an assessment and evaluation and shall comply with all recommendations for treatment. Such person shall be sentenced to not less than 1 year of supervision and periodic testing at his own expense.
  • 30 days - 2 years ignition interlock

Open Container Law

The Open Container Law prohibits possession of an open alcoholic beverage container in the passenger area of any motor vehicle, by any occupant of the vehicle, on any public highway or right of way, whether or not the vehicle is in motion.

Red Light Violation Fines

Oklahoma does not have a state law governing red light fines or the use of traffic cameras for red light enforcement.

Construction Zone Penalties

Speeding violations when workers are present are subject to two times the original fine.

Turn Signal Information

Signal your intention to turn or change lanes at least 100 feet or 1/3 of a block in advance.

Hazard Light Information

Hazard light use is permitted for the purpose of warning other drivers of the presence of a vehicular traffic hazard requiring the exercise of unusual care in approaching, overtaking or passing.

Funeral Procession Right-of-Way Laws

  • Funeral processions are not required to allow sufficient space between vehicles so as to enable any other vehicle to enter and occupy such space without danger.
  • Except when directed otherwise by a traffic control signal or a police officer, driving between vehicles in a funeral procession is prohibited.

School Bus Laws


  • Vehicles are required to stop unless the bus is on the other side of a divided highway.


  • Failure to stop and remain stopped when required will result in a fine of up to $100 for a first offense, and a mandatory license revocation for 1 year.

Bicyclist Passing Distance

A 3-foot minimum passing distance is required.

Motorcycle Laws


  • All motorcycle operators are required to obtain a Class A-D motor vehicle license, with a motorcycle endorsement added. There is no separate license for a motorcycle operator.
  • Any new applicant for such a license must complete a written exam, vision exam, and driving examination for a motorcycle to be eligible for a motorcycle endorsement. The driving and written tests may be waived upon proof of completion of a certified Motorcycle Safety Foundation rider course.

Protective Gear

  • Every person under the age of 18 years must wear a helmet.
  • A windshield of such dimensions as to protect the operator from foreign objects is required, unless the operator wears either goggles or a face shield.


  • Lighted lamps and illuminating devices are required at all times.

Sharing the Road

  • Lane splitting is not authorized.
  • Motorcycles traveling side-by-side in a single lane is not authorized.

Using the Shoulder to Pass

You may not drive off the roadway to pass on the right.

Passing Laws

Do Not Pass:

  • When approaching or upon a hill or curve;
  • When approaching within 100 feet of or traversing any intersection or railroad grade crossing;
  • When approaching within 100 feet of any bridge, viaduct, or tunnel.

When Being Passed:

  • Give way to the right in favor of the overtaking vehicle;
  • The overtaking vehicle may signal by honking its horn;
  • Do not increase the speed of your vehicle until completely passed by the overtaking vehicle.

Speed Limits

  • 75 mph on the turnpike system and designated segments of the rural interstate system;
  • 70 mph on four-lane highways or "super two-lane" highways;
    • A "super two-lane highway" means a two-lane highway "with designated passing lanes, and consisting of paved shoulders not less than eight feet in width." .
  • 65 mph on other highways;
  • 55 mph on a county road and in the State Capitol Area;
  • 35 mph in a State park or wildlife refuge;
  • 25 mph in a school zone on any highway outside of a municipality and in an established alternative speed limit, through State schools which are located on State owned land adjoining or outside the limits of a corporate city or town.

Safety Belt and Child Safety Seat Laws

Safety Belts

  • Occupants 13 years and older in the front seat must wear a seat belt.
  • Police may stop vehicles solely for belt law violations.
  • The fine for a first offense is $20.

Child Seats

  • Children 5 years and younger must be in a child seat.
  • Children weighing more than 40 pounds may be belted without a booster seat if they are seated in the rear seat of a vehicle with only lap belts or when the lap and shoulder belts are being used by other children who weigh more than 40 pounds.
  • Children 6 - 12 years must be restrained, and may use an adult safety belt.
  • Police may stop vehicles solely for child seat law violations.
  • The fine for a first offense is $50.

Emergency Vehicle Laws

State law requires drivers approaching a stationary emergency vehicle displaying flashing lights, including wreckers, traveling in the same direction, to vacate the lane closest if safe and possible to do, or slow to a speed safe for road, weather, and traffic conditions.

Move Over

  • When you see any of these vehicles displaying flashing lights while stopped on or adjacent to the roadway:
    • Emergency vehicle
    • Wrecker
  • You must do the following:
    • If on a highway with two or more lanes that carry traffic in the same direction of travel as that of the driver, and it is safe to do so, make a lane change into a lane not adjacent to the vehicle.
    • If on a different type of highway, or if changing lanes would be impossible or unsafe, reduce the speed of the vehicle and maintain a safe speed for road, weather, and traffic conditions.


  • Do not follow a fire apparatus traveling in response to a fire alarm closer than 500 feet, or drive into or park within the block where the fire apparatus has stopped in answer to a fire alarm.

Collision Procedures

  • Stop at the scene or as close as possible without obstructing traffic more than necessary, and remain at the scene until all requirements are fulfilled
  • Call police immediately if necessary
    • If the crash resulted in injury or death, you must report the immediately to the local police department, county sheriff, or state patrol.
    • If the driver is unable to make the report, any other occupant of the vehicle who is able to must do so.
  • You must provide the following information to any other person involved in the accident, or any police officer at the scene of the crash:
    • Driver's name and address
    • Vehicle registration number
  • Show driver's license and security verification form upon request
  • Provide assistance to any injured person, including transporting them or making arrangements for transportation to a hospital or doctor, if necessary or requested.
  • Unattended vehicle or property
    • If you have collided with a vehicle that is unattended, locate and notify the operator or owner of the driver's name and address and the owner's name and address. Provide information from your security verification form. If you are unable to do so, leave a written notice providing this information and a statement of the circumstances.
    • If you have collided with other unattended property on or adjacent to a highway, locate and notify the owner of the driver's name and address, the vehicle registration number, and show your driver's license and security verification form.
  • If the crash resulted in injury, death, or property damage of $300 or more, you must file a written report of the collision if settlement of the collision has not been made, or a report of the settlement if one has been made.